Months ago, I was tagged to write one of those things you didn’t know about me posts. I delayed, procrastinated and then finally decided to turn it into a blog. And then I delayed, procrastinated and repeated until today.
Sorry, Lisa A. that it took me so long to do this.
And thank you for giving me something to help work my way out of my current writing funk.
1) Wishlist Obsessed ~ When I want to shop and can’t, I make wishlists on Amazon and now Modcloth. It distracts that party of my brain that keeps attempting to destroy my budget. Sometimes it back fires when friends find these lists and obtain for me the item desired in a moment of on-line passion which seemed like a good idea at the time. Luckily it has only produced one embarrassing Yuletide moment when I didn’t know what the item was.
2) Gardening Reduces My Stress ~ Taking care plants or playing in the dirt has always been soothing for me. I like having dirt under my nails and grass between my toes.
3) Complaining Less ~ I am working on complaining less and being grateful for all the things I have in my life. This isn’t so much of a goal as it a life philosophy. And you know what I am really happier than I was a year ago. My depression is still with me, but it has less power.
4) Dancing ~ I love to dance, but going to clubs for me is scary so I haven’t been out to one in a long time. My anxiety makes it difficult for me to go out as much as I would like especially if I think people will be looking at me. I still dance nearly everyday, just not when people are looking. This also makes attending dance class tricky.
5) Reading ~ I re-read the Anita Blake series from start to finish at least once a year. Twice if I a new book comes out. Currently, I am re-reading Skin Trade before I read Dead Ice. There are books in every room of my house and a special shelf for my signed books.
6) Skulls ~ I have a collection of skulls which my mother started when I was a teenager. I still have that skull pendant that she and Poppa gave me. At one point, we all had one. Now I think I am the only one who managed to keep hold of it over the the years. Being a pack rat helps. There are probably thirty or more skulls in the collection. They also remind me that life is precious and fragile.
7) Year-round Halloween ~ If you come in my house, you will notice right away that something a bit spooky is going on. This has lead some people to speculate that I never put my Halloween decorations away. This isn’t true. There are five boxes in storage that prove otherwise.
8) Minister ~ I have been an ordained minister for the last sixteen years. It all started in college when some friends asked me to marry them. Since then I have officiated at over a dozen weddings, funerals and naming ceremonies. It has been one of the greatest blessings of my life to watch couples begin their lives together and to stand with families as they say goodbye to their love ones.